CANDLES ARE DANGEROUS!!
In the early morning hours of June, 1998 two boys, twelve and thirteen years old, died in a fire on Grantchester Place in the Saybrooke section of Gaithersburg. The cause of that fire...a candle that tipped over while being used during a power blackout. Within the next twelve months candles used during a blackout caused a serious fire in a home in Montgomery Village. In January 2001 there were three serious residential fires in Montgomery County that were caused by candles.
While other causes for home fires have decreased over the past decade the number of fires caused by candles has increased!
A candle is an open flame. It can easily ignite any combustible material that is nearby. If you use candles please keep these points in mind, (from the GWGVFD and Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services):
During power outages......
- Extinguish all candles when leaving a room or going to sleep.
- Keep candles well away from items that can catch fire, such as curtains, paper, books, decorations and clothing.
- Make sure that candles are placed on a secure piece of furniture, in sturdy holders that won't tip over.
- Make sure that candle holders are non-combustible and big enough to collect dripping wax.
- Do not place lit candles in windows, where blinds or curtains can close over them.
- Keep wicks trimmed to 1/4 inch and extinguish candles when they burn down to within two inches of the holder.
- Keep candles, and all open flames, away from flammable liquids.
- Keep candles high, out of reach and where they can't be knocked over by children or pets.
- Never leave a child unattended in a room with a candle. A child should not sleep in a room with a lit candle.
- Keep all matches and lighters up high and out of the sight and reach of children, preferably in a locked cabinet.
- Try to avoid carrying a lit candle and never use it to look for things.
- Never use a candle for light when fueling equipment such as a kerosene heater or lantern. The flame may ignite the flame.
- Remember...flashlights are much safer light sources than candles.