Become A Volunteer!
The GWGVFD is always looking for new members.
There are four types of membership:
Active members ride fire/rescue apparatus as Emergency Medical Technicians, Paramedics or Firefighters.
Administrative members help with non-operational duties on a regular basis.
Associate members help with non-operational duties irregularly.
Junior Fire Brigade (JFB) is a program designed for teens ages 14 - 17.
The basic membership requirements for Active membership are:
* Be of good moral character.
* Be at least 18 years old at the time of application. (Teenagers, aged 14 - 18, with parents permission, may join our Junior Fire Brigade).
* Provide a copy of your High School diploma, GED, or equivalent.
* Pass a comprehensive background investigation, including fingerprinting.
* Provide a copy of your Maryland Motor Vehicle Record.
* Complete a medical examination and urine drug screen. (Operational members only).
(Administrative and Associate members need not pass a medical exam. Associate members need not be High School graduates).
Applicants undergo a six month probationary period, during which they receive training
within the GWGVFD and at the Montgomery County Public Safety Training Academy.
Every Active volunteer is required to certify as an Emergency Medical Technician,
completing that 125 hour course within eighteen months of joining the GWGVFD. If the
volunteer wants to continue into the firefighting area another 135 hours of basic
firefighting skills classes are required.
Active GWGVFD volunteers commit to at least one, twelve hour standby shift in one
of our fire stations each week. In addition, attendance at monthly meetings and
regular training drills is required.
Our commitment is a serious one and a good deal of time is required. The
Fire Rescue Service is an extremely demanding profession which can involve grave danger
and the risk of serious injury. Your decision to volunteer should not be taken
Up to the challenge? Fill out our application form to begin your experience.